Saturday, March 3, 2012

Grandparents Don't Follow the Rules!

I can remember growing up and having to eat “healthy” cereal like cheerios. I rarely got the good stuff because I always heard my grandmother refer to it as that ‘ol junk stuff that will rot your teeth. I had a bedtime and chores and a list of dos and don’ts that I was required to memorize.

Now that I am an adult with children of my own, I want to know exactly what alien race has now taken over the parents and grandparents in my family.

When my father-in-law brings my oldest son home from school he is often accompanied by a chocolate chip cookie or six. My mother bakes cookies or smore’s with the boys almost every time they are over for a visit. But the worst part is my grandmother! Yes, dear old Grammy who taught me fruit was better than candy and that I had to eat a balanced dinner. What does she give my children? Peanut butter cookies, popcorn, and milk for dinner! I’m in shock and am still looking for the alien pods in her closets.

Grandparents don’t play fair. They spoil kids, give them sugar, buy them presents, and convince our little darlings that grandparents (and great-grandparents) are really more fun than mom and dad. They get them sugared up and hyper and then send them home all the while laughing at us.

When did this conspiracy begin! Forget the black helicopters and men in dark suits and sunglasses it’s the grandparents you have to watch out for!

I’m contemplating starting a support group for parents… Parents Against Rule-Breaking Grandparents (PARBG)! We’ll be meeting weekly and serving the cookies and snacks we can wrestle away from our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment