Friday, January 6, 2012

The Miracle of Motherhood

I have a plaque that hangs on my youngest child’s door that says; “However motherhood comes, it’s a miracle.” I find this saying very inspiring and a reminder to appreciate not only my own children but all the children and people I have unofficially adopted though the years.

Not all families are biological. Some families are made through adoption, fostering, new marriages, or just simply offering love and room in your heart to another person. I have been blessed with so many non-biological family members in my lifetime; students, friends, random servers at restaurants. My children have aunts, uncles, and cousins that have no blood relation to them and I am thankful for that.
Motherhood is difficult. If done right it will exhaust you, it will take your youth, your time, and your natural hair color, but it is an experience like no other. I am blessed to have three, crazy, wild, unpredictable, little boys in my life.

One of my friends once asked what I did before I had children at home and I honestly had to take a few minutes to remember. I used to think I was so busy, boy was I was wrong. Parenthood is crazy and not for the faint of heart. Kids can be scary, messy, exhausting, embarrassing, and things you swear just crawled out from under a rock. But they can also be the most inspiring, thoughtful, loving, and fulfilling people you have ever had the pleasure to bring into your life.
Some people don’t wish to have children which I always found odd since I knew I always wanted to be a mom. Now that I am a mom I can see their point some days. But I still encourage them to have a child in their life even if they get to send them home at the end of the day because there is a miracle in children. They see the world in a way that is unlike any adult. They are innocent and honest in their beliefs and how they interact with others. Sometimes as adults we get so caught up in the what to do and how to do it deadlines of life that mean nothing in the end when we really should take time to smell the roses and play with the roly-poly bugs that live at their base.

1 comment: